Sunday, May 16, 2010

Our new horse, Dixie!

It is harder than I thought to get decent photos of horses.

At Christmas time, Mark's mom called us and said she had a present for us if we wanted it. We just needed to build a fence 6 feet in from our back fence and it would supply all the fertilizer we needed.

Here's the story of Dixie. Mark's uncle Joseph (Linda's brother) bred his horse, Sunshine, and she had a filly named Dixie. She is a purebred Arabian (with papers!) She was given to Mark's grandmother, Lula Massey, who loves horses and always has. Lula was about 74 at the time. Lula rode her until she was 87 and then had to be moved into a care center, so Linda and Mark's brother, Andrew, have been taking care of Dixie since that time (about 5 years). Now it's becoming difficult for them to care for her, so we are the lucky recipients of this beautiful horse! She just turned 18 on May 5, and we are excited to have her. Mark thinks I am crazy. It is very possible.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

How cool to have a HORSE! Christine will be so jealous. I'm very sad to hear about your grandpa. Seems like we are now in the generation of starting to lose our loved ones. We've had 6 family deaths in 6 months.

Kris said...

Tell Christine to make you bring her to see us (I mean the horse) next time you are up here! We'll let her ride!